Over 100 athletes descended on Haley Park for the 12th annual Canadian Legion Track and Field Meet May 4 and some Rossland athletes took home hardware.
In the 12-year-old division, Rossland’s Megan Stanley sprinted to gold in the 100-m. dash, as well as topping the podium in high jump and long jump, and taking silver in the 80-m. hurdles.
Ethan Jang, also of Rossland, took top honours in the boys 100 and 300-m. sprints, the long jump, and the 3-kg. shot put.
Overall, the sun shone on the Trail Track and Field Club (TTFC) contingent as it captured over 40 podium finishes in a meet that saw 26 records fall.
The Greater Trail Legion got the meet started on the right foot, leading the athletes onto the field during the opening ceremonies that culminated in the Legion’s zone commander Bill McGuire donating $500 to the TTFC.
• In the nine-year-old division, Jendaya Shields won gold in each of the six events she entered, and set four meet records in the 100-metre dash, 60-m. hurdles, long jump, and shot put.
Her 13.2-second hurdles time eclipsed previous record holder
• TTFC’s Hannah Schultze’s 2011 standard of 13.4 while her 3.24-metre long jump beat the previous record by almost a foot.
• Maya Amantea was literally right behind her taking silver in long jump, high jump, shot put, 60 and 100-m. dash, the 600-m. run and a bronze in 60 metre hurdles.
• In the boys 10-yearold, 100-metre hurdles, Finley Kinghorn took silver.
• Griffin Tatangelo dominated the 14-year-old boys category, claiming first-place in the high jump, long jump, and hammer throw.
• In the 13-year-old girls, TTFC’s Georgia Merry won gold in the high jump and shot put, while taking silver in the 80-m. hurdles and long jump, and bronze in discus and 100-m. sprint.
• Nicole Merry meanwhile captured gold in the 80-m. hurdles and silver in the high jump.
• In the boys 13-year-old division, Jackson Konkin of Trail came second in the 300-metre dash losing by 2/100th of a second to Dawson Atwood, and another silver in the 800-m run.
• But Hayden Kokiw was the top boy’s medal winner among 13-year-olds taking gold in the discus and the 80-m hurdles, and silver in the long jump, while Ian Hartleb came second in both the shot put, and the discus.