No. 1 Acid Plant at Teck Trail Operations has been up and running since 2014.

Teck Trail announces $174-million plant in 2017

The company announced on Monday that a $174-million replica of the No. 1 Acid Plant will begin construction in the new year.

Better efficiency, a cleaner environment and construction jobs are on the way for Teck Trail Operations the company announced Monday that a second state-of-the-art plant will break ground in the new year.

The $174-million facility will be a replica of the No. 1 Acid Plant, and is projected to be operational in 2019. In addition to the first plant, which went online in 2014, the No. 2 Acid Plant is expected to reduce overall SO2 emissions by 20 per cent.

The two structures will replace three acid plants (No. 7, No. 8 and No. 9) that were originally built in the 1960s and ‘70s and have now reached the end of their lifespans.

“There is no planned increase in production as a result of constructing the No. 2 Acid Plant,” explained Community Relations Leader Catherine Adair. “However, there are significant environmental and operational efficiencies for Trail Operations and construction ultimately supports the long-term sustainability of our operation.”

From a production standpoint, the new technology will significantly improve operating reliability and flexibility, reducing downtime and maintenance costs,” she added.

“In terms of environmental improvements, the new plant is expected to result in a 5 per cent reduction in SO2 released from Trail Operations. This is in addition to the 15 per cent already realized from the previously completed No. 1 Acid Plant. So once the new acid plant is operational in 2019, we estimate an overall 20 per cent reduction in SO2 emissions since 2014.”

Another notable factor is impact to local economy Adair pointed out the company is estimating that approximately 650,000 hours of construction labour will be required to complete the build, which equates to approximately 160 jobs during construction.

“While we are still in the contracting process, our aim is for local procurement whenever possible,” she confirmed. “And we expect to spend approximately 75 per cent of the capital investment within B.C.”

Construction of the new acid plant represents an important investment in the ongoing sustainability and long-term future of Trail Operations, stated General Manager Thompson Hickey, in the Monday news release.

“This new facility will improve our environmental performance, while providing greater operating reliability.”

Construction is expected to start in the first quarter of 2017, with the plant becoming operational in the summer of 2019.

Over the last 20 years Teck has made significant investments to improve Trail Operations’ environmental performance, resulting in emissions of metal to air and water being reduced by over 95 per cent.

Just Posted

Rock climbers to get new facility in Rossland

City leases space in Miner’s Hall for bouldering club

Slocan Valley to be ‘lit up’ with high-speed internet in 12 months

125 kilometres of fibre-optic cable to be laid from Nakusp to Playmor Junction

Police bust drug operation in Castlegar

Man charged, will go to court in August

Vigil re-affirms belief in peace, acceptance in wake of New Zealand massacre

Nearly 100 show up for solemn event at Mir Centre for Peace

RED resort announces new ski lift

Topping lift will add new ski area to resort, reduce bottleneck on Motherload chair

VIDEO: The ‘most cosmopolitan’ of butterflies could migrate to B.C.

The painted lady butterfly will likely arrive this summer from Southern California

Is it a homicide? B.C. woman dies in hospital, seven months after being shot

Stepfather think Chilliwack case should now be a homicide, but IHIT has not confirmed anything

Indecent caller handed 18-month conditional sentence

Vancouver Island man pleaded guilty to making indecent phone and video calls to women across B.C.

Sources say Trudeau rejected Wilson-Raybould’s conservative pick for high court

Wilson-Raybould said Monday “there was no conflict between the PM and myself”

First Nations public art piece stolen in Nanaimo

Spindle Whorl went missing over the weekend, according to Nanaimo RCMP

Father-son duo at B.C. Children’s Hospital helps new dads fight depression

The pair teamed up to introduce the only known research-based mindfulness workshop for new dads

Mexican restaurant in B.C. told to take down Mexican flag

General manager of Primo’s Mexican Grill in White Rock: ‘I’ve never heard of anything like this’

B.C. NDP moves to provide tax credits, tax cut for LNG Canada

Provincial sales tax break of $596 million repayable after construction

COLUMN: Smart phone too powerful a tool to yank from students’ hands

Rather than ban them from schools, let’s teach kids to harness their phone’s power and use it properly

Most Read