Shambhala Music Festival will still go on as scheduled in July, as will the Kaslo Jazz Etc. Festival. File photo

UPDATED: Shambhala, Kaslo Jazz festivals to go on despite COVID-19 outbreak

Events at Nelson’s Spiritbar, The Royal and Bloom Nightclub meanwhile have been postponed

Shambhala Music Festival and Kaslo Jazz Etc. Festival are both set to open in the summer, even as other Nelson venues cancel or postpone concerts due to the coronavirus outbreak.

In a statement released Thursday, organizers for the annual electronic music festival near Salmo said the event scheduled for July 24 to 27 would go on.

“Based on the current information provided by health and government authorities, and with several months still to go, we do not anticipate disruption to our summer festival,” said the release.

Shambhala, the biggest annual music event in the West Kootenay, had previously been held in August but was moved up to July this year in response to wildfire dangers.

The Kaslo Jazz Etc. Festival also said in a statement it would continue as planned for July 31 to Aug. 2.

“These are hard times for people that work in arts and culture, and local businesses in small communities like ours,” said the statement.

“Many events, tours, and public gatherings are being impacted and we encourage you to find other ways to support these people. Buying merchandise, paying for music, or buying gift certificates are all ways we can support each other.”

Other festivals in North America, meanwhile, are either being postponed or cancelled. The South by Southwest festival in Austin, Texas, which was set to begin Friday, was called off. Southern California’s Coachella, one of the biggest annual music festivals in America, was pushed back from April to October.

Related: Nelson and COVID-19: everything you need to know

Meanwhile in Nelson, several local promoters have announced cancellations.

Ryan Martin of Hume Hotel told the Star all March and April shows scheduled at Spiritbar have been postponed, while the popular Grapes and Grains event that was supposed to run April 25 has been cancelled for the year.

Bloom Nightclub also said in a statement it was temporarily suspending operations as of Friday.

“The health and safety of our team, as well as our guests and artists, is our No. 1 priority. … We feel that the transient nature of our artists and guests, coupled with the close proximity of people in the club, could put our community at risk.”

The Royal meanwhile has cancelled all events through May 1, is limiting capacity to 50 and has changed its closing time to midnight.

The provincial government announced a ban this week on gatherings of more than 250 people in an effort to contain the spread of COVID-19.

Related:

KIJHL cancels playoffs, Leafs’ season is over

Coronavirus spread prompts Selkirk College letter to students

B.C. Seniors Advocate: care homes well equipped to prevent COVID-19 outbreaks



tyler.harper@nelsonstar.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

CoronavirusLive musicmusic festivals

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

From baseball stars to forest fires: Southeast Fire Centre water bomber has an interesting past

Tanker 489 is stationed in Castlegar this year, but in the 1960s it belonged to the L.A. Dodgers.

Two search and rescue calls involving children end with happy outcomes

The incidents took place in Trail and Salmo area on July 5 and 6

Tanis Shippy joins Rossland Seven Summits of Learning as new administrator

Shippy has been training in her new role over the past month

Trail RCMP officer accused of criminal harassment, forcible entry

BCPS: The charges against Murchie date between 2017 and 2020

Petition calls on referendum for new city hall development in Rossland

The petition sent to the B.C. government has gathered more than 350 signatures

B.C. identifies 20 new COVID-19 cases, travellers specified in count

Pandemic total 3,028 cases, 51 people from outside Canada

Survey, hotline launched amid probe into racist blood-alcohol guessing game at B.C. hospital

Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond has been appointed to lead an investigation by Health Minister Adrian Dix

Canadian policing organization calls for decriminalization of simple illicit drug possession

Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police want policing focus of opioid crisis to be replaced with a health one

Filing deadline in RCMP sexual-harassment class-action extended due to COVID-19

Plaintiffs now have until January 2021 to submit claims for up to $222,000

Jamie Bacon pleads guilty to charge in Surrey Six case

The plea brings an end to a complex legal case that has spanned more than a decade

Hefty undeclared driver charges piling up, ICBC warns customers

Average extra penalty $2,971 after an at-fault accident

B.C. appeals judge’s decision to leave three clubhouses in Hells Angels hands

The province has filed two notices of appeal related to the B.C. Supreme Court decision

Conservation officers relocate Spirit bear known to roam northwestern B.C.

Bear roamed valley north of Terrace for many years

B.C. premier applauds call to decriminalize drug possession

Police shouldn’t struggle with health issues, Horgan says

Most Read