School District 20 – No cash coming

School District 20 (Kootenay-Columbia) is now asking for the remaining 20 per cent of the money saved when teachers took their job action.

The province giveth and the province taketh away.

With only 80 per cent of the money saved when teachers embarked on their three-day job action in March being released by the province to local school districts, School District 20 (Kootenay-Columbia) is now asking for the remaining 20 per cent.

The SD20 board of trustees has sent a letter to the Ministry of Education asking for the entire sum — $282,265 — to be returned. The province only agreed to fork over $228,265 to SD20 through the Learning Improvement Fund, opting to keep the rest.

With school districts across the province tightening their belts, and SD20 having to absorb a $1.55 million shortfall due to decreased funding in their 2012/13 budget — it was only fair to return the extra funds, said board chair Darrell Ganzert, since it was destined for the district in the first place.

“We would prefer it be returned to us so we could apply it to (this year’s) budget,” he said.

There has been no word back from the province since the letter was authorized two weeks ago, said Ganzert, nor does he expect one. The province has made it clear SD20’s financial problems will worsen with reductions in funding expected over the next two years.

The local board will have to provide answers.

“But we’re only a little bit away from saying to the public, look we can’t do this (balanced budget) anymore,” said Ganzert.

With the fifth oldest complement of teachers in the province out of 60 districts, the Kootenay-Columbia district also has the fifth highest average salary at $86,253.61 — behind Nechako Lakes, the highest at $89,504.88. Salaries are based on years of experience.

But the numbers are misleading. A starting teacher in B.C. makes in low $40,000 range. It takes a teacher 10 years to work up to maximum salary.

However, it takes six years on average before a teacher gets a contract to teach — with the average substitute teacher earning less than $20,000 per year — and another six years or more before they land their first full time contract.

For more information on the school district’s statement of financial information, go to http://www.sd20.bc.ca/reports-publications.html, listed in the 2010-2011 Statement of Financial Disclosure on pages 42-45.

It includes all nine elected officials for a total remuneration of $97,937.63, with expenses of $17,717.09.

The report also detailed employees earning over $75,000 up to the highest wage at $129,544.22.

A total of 145 school district staff — including teachers, administration, CUPE members — make over $75,000.

That accounts for $12.94 million, with $175,161 in expenses, while the remainder of the district’s staff earns a total of $15.92 million.

Just Posted

Two fires of note burning in Southeast Fire Centre

As of Saturday afternoon there were more than 20 fires burning in the Southeast Fire Centre.

Firefighters snuff out another vehicle fire near Fruitvale

Quick action Friday morning prevents fire from spreading to trees and grass

‘Farm the Kootenays’ creates supportive community

Helping hobbyists and serious producers alike, the Facebook group has grown to nearly 12,000 members

Brother’s determination pushes Ryan Cunningham to cycle 2,500 km for heart care

#Cunnycan: Ryan Cunningham ‘pushing the envelope’ to support brother Craig’s foundation

Polishing up the Silver City diamond

The B.C. Major Little League Provincial Championship begins Saturday at Andy Bilesky Park

BC Wildfire merges two Okanagan wildfires

Large plume of smoke seen over the fire was a controlled event

Government sets full-time salary range for Justin Trudeau’s nanny

At its top range, the order works out to a rate of $21.79 per hour, assuming a 40-hour work week

Lower Mainland teams battle for baseball gold at BC Games

Vancouver Coastal squeaked out a 3-2 win against Fraser Valley

The Northern Secwepemc te Qelmucw people signed an agreement-in-principle with the B.C. government

The signing ceremony, at the Eliza Archie Memorial School, was 25 years in the making

Canada to resettle dozens of White Helmets and their families from Syria

There are fears the volunteers would become a target for government troops

Francesco Molinari wins British Open at Carnoustie

It is his first win at a major and the first by an Italian

ZONE 1: Hannah Tracey looks to mom as role model while at BC Games

‘She has believed in me when I couldn’t believe in myself,’ Tracey said at BC Summer Games in Cowichan

Recovery high schools could help teens before addiction takes hold: B.C. parents

Schools could provide mental health supports and let parents discuss their children’s drug use openly

Haida Gwaii village faces housing crisis, targets short-term rentals

Housing is tight and the village is pretty close to zero vacancy

Most Read