A family is out thousands of dollars after a fire destroyed their trailer on Sept.5 near the 800 block of Monte Vista Drive in Rossland.
The incident occurred in the early morning hours when a man was smoking a cigarette and it ignited other material in the trailer.
“This incident was deemed accidental and arson isn’t suspected,” said Trail and Greater District RCMP Sgt. Mike Wicentowich.
“It was actually his parent’s home, so this was quite sad for the entire family.”
Vehicles parked on the property and a nearby trailer were also damaged from the fire.
The entire family managed to exit the trailer safely before it became engulfed in flames.
Extinguishing trailer fires can prove to be a challenge, according to Wicentowich.
“These trailers are hard to put out because they’re typically made of synthetic material,” said Wicentowich.
“Fires also burn really hot in them because they often have a low fire rating.”
Wicentowich commended the local fire department for containing the blaze.
The trailer was reportedly uninsured.