A close call at Booty’s Cabin – likely caused by an unattended burning candle – has Friends of the Rossland Range reminding all users how important it is to follow their etiquette rules.
Director Rob Richardson contacted the Trail Times on Friday to report on a recent fire inside the volunteer-built cabin that, fortunately, was snuffed out before it could cause too much damage.
Four skiers were heading out on Christmas morning when they noticed flames within the structure, which is located near the Strawberry Pass Summit, 19 kilometres north of Rossland.
Richardson said the skiers saw the main table was ablaze and they acted quickly to extinguish the fire with snow.
The cabin was otherwise undamaged.
He speculated that the source was probably a candle left burning from the day previous, as no vehicles were parked in the lot that morning other than the car the four skiers came in.
“It’s just incredible the number of people who are using the cabins this year,” Richardson said, mentioning upwards of 80 vehicles are in the parking lot some days. “So we want to remind people to use LEDs (head lights and lanterns) and avoid using candles.”