Mr. and Mrs. P.A. Woodward’s Foundation has donated $75,000 to the health foundation at Kootenay Boundary Regional Hospital (KBRH) to purchase a C-Arm x-ray machine for use by the surgical, medical imaging and anaesthesiology departments at KBRH.
C-Arm gets its name from the C-shaped arm present in the device, which is used to connect the x-ray source and the detector. C-Arm machines are widely used during orthopedic, complicated surgical, pain management (anaesthetics) and emergency procedures.
The C-Arm provides high quality resolution imaging, resulting in optimal care for patients.
Through a cost-share with the Woodward’s foundation, the C-Arm was also funded via the KBRH Health Foundation’s Chronic Pain Service Project, the Kelowna General Hospital Foundation’s staff lottery, and Interior Health.
Who is the Woodward foundation?
Mr. and Mrs. P.A. Woodward’s Foundation’s history is closely associated with Charles Woodward, Woodward Stores founder.
(Woodward’s Stores Ltd. was a department store chain that operated in Alberta and British Columbia for 101 years, before its sale to the Hudson’s Bay Company in 1993.)
One of Charles Woodward’s sons, P.A. Woodward, maintained an interest and involvement in the family business throughout his life.
He served as vice-president of the company prior to his retirement.
During the latter part of their lives, Mr. and Mrs. P.A. Woodward donated to many charitable organizations. There is no complete record of these contributions, but generally the gifts supported education, health and various religious bodies.
In 1951, P.A. established the Woodward Foundation to formalize these activities.
On Nov. 8, 1951, he chaired the foundation’s first board of directors meeting at the offices of Woodward’s Department Stores at 101 West Hastings Street in Vancouver, British Columbia.
In 1953, the foundation’s name was changed to the Mr. and Mrs. P.A. Woodward’s Foundation.
The assets of the foundation represent lifetime gifts to the foundation from the late Mr. and Mrs. Woodward, together with the residue from their estates following the death of Mr. Woodward in 1968 and Mrs. Woodward in 1970.
The portfolio continues to grow under the management of the foundation’s executive committee.
Since 1953, the foundation has approved over $50 million in grants.