Tents with hot chocolate fondue and shelter from the rain.

Seven Summits Poker Ride

Wet bikers saved by hot chocolate fondue at the Seven Summits Poker Ride

The 10th annual Seven Summits Poker Ride took place on Sunday, August 31.

A total of a 100 riders showed up ready for the beloved event. About 60 per cent of the riders came from out of town while the remaining 40 per cent came from Rossland.

The day started with blue skies but the bikers ended up getting showered by rain.

At Granite, on top of Rino’s Run, tents were put up for the participants to dry off. Mountain Nugget Chocolate Co provided hot chocolate fondue to warm the riders up.

Ryan Taylor from Penticton ended up with the best poker hand. He decided to join the ride as he works for one of the sponsors, Outdoor Gear Canada, and he’s happy that he did so. Taylor has attended to similar events before but this was his first time at the Seven Summits Poker Ride.

“I’m definitely coming back. If not next year, the year after,” says Taylor.

The after party was held at Lions Campground where Rossland Beer Company donated beer to quench the thirst of the riders.

Organizer Tyler Merringer says that the event went “extremely well.” 10 years of practice had them set up for a very successful ride.

Many of the volunteers who helped out were returnees from previous years, which made for smooth running.

Merringer is looking forward to next year and another Seven Summits Poker Ride.  It will be held at the same time, during the Sunday of the long weekend.

Merringer summarizes this year’s event, “It was another great day in the mountains.”

 

Just Posted

Rossland’s farmer’s market is wilting, but organizers hope to spur new growth

12-year-old market considered taking a year off, says manager

Police investigating man’s death in Winlaw

Foul play not established, but major crimes unit is investigating

Rossland Legion supports Skool Aid

Skool Aid assists low-income families in the Lower Columbia

Bilingual child care spaces coming to Castlegar

New daycare opening this summer will teach kids French and English

Motion calls on Rossland city council to recognize ‘climate crisis’

Andy Morel wants to raise awareness of urgent need for action by higher levels of government

VIDEO: Protesters in Penticton gather to rally against sleeping-on-sidewalk bylaw

The proposed bylaw would outlaw sitting or lying on the city’s downtown sidewalks

Kamloops girl, 9, recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning now out of ICU

Her mother who was sleeping in the same tent with her did not survive

‘I think he’s still alive’: B.C. mom pleads for help finding son last seen a month ago

Family offering $5,000 reward for information leading to the safe return of Tim Delahaye

New poll suggests one-third don’t want politicians to wear religious symbols

Local politicians shouldn’t be allowed to wear hijabs, crucifixes or turbans on the job, survey suggests

Raptors fans far from home adjust plans to watch pivotal playoff game

Raptors currently lead the playoff series 3-2, and a win Saturday would vault them into NBA finals

Five takeaways from the Court of Appeal ruling on B.C.’s pipeline law

It’s unclear how many tools are left in B.C.’s toolbox to fight the project

Kootenay man arrested and charged in 2015 murder

Nathaniel Jessup 32 of Creston has been charged with the second-degree murder of Katherine McAdam and offering an indignity to a body.

Scheer says it would take Conservatives five years to balance budget

Scheeraccused the Liberal government of spending $79.5 billion of previously unbudgeted funds

B.C. man, 30, arrested for driving his parents’ cars while impaired twice in one day

The Vancouver-area man was arrested after officers caught him driving impaired twice in one day

Most Read