Kemp Springs on the Kaslo and Slocan Railway, date unknown, but probably between 1895 and 1905. (Courtesy Kootenay Lake Archives 2008.24.09)

PLACE NAMES: Kemp Springs

Randall Kemp’s efforts to sell mineral water from a spring near Kaslo were mostly for naught

Two hundred twenty-eighth in a series on West Kootenay/Boundary place names

In the spring of 1892, American journalist Randall H. Kemp (1852-1914) joined the Silvery Slocan mining rush. He had previously visited the West Kootenay on two occasions and extolled its virtues, but now he was here to stay. Kemp soon discovered — or was introduced to — a mineral spring about five kilometers west of Kaslo and seized on its commercial possibilities.

The earliest mention of the springs was in the Nelson Miner of July 2, 1892: “Nearly every day parties take a trip to R.H. Kemp’s mineral springs about three miles from Kaslo. The water is very refreshing and pleasant to drink, and it is claimed to be of great medical value for affections of the kidneys. Mr. Kemp has cut trails to the springs which are very prettily situated, and purposes [sic] to make them a distinct feature in the attractions of the lake country.”

In this venture, he initially had two partners, James Brennand and James Pringle, “who have spent considerable time and labor improving and beautifying the grounds.”

A visitor noted “a sign tacked on a tree, informing us that that trail took us to the soda springs, half a mile down the canyon, and having heard flattering reports of the water of the ‘poison springs,’ as the Indians term them, we concluded to investigate. We were surprised as well as delighted to find the reports had not been exaggerated.”

There were three springs, each a slight distance apart, “located in a beautiful grove of trees, where the waters gush forth from the earth’s surface a boiling, seething mass. What the waters contain will be determined by Professor Parks of Galena, who has no hesitancy in pronouncing the water equal to the best imported.”

Kemp began shipping mineral water to Nelson and Pilot Bay, and claimed the demand already exceeded his limited supply. He also left a sample with the Nelson Miner, whose staff figured that “Properly diluted with whisky, it ought to go pretty good.”

By October, Kemp formally established Kemp’s Mineral Springs, although there is no sign of him incorporating a company by that name. Kemp began advertising two brands: Kemp’s Therapeutic Mineral Water and Kootenay Lithia Water.

By early 1893, he completed and furnished a “handsome frame building for general purposes” at the springs and soon his mineral water was in all of Kaslo’s hotels. He also hired Ira Jenkins, a former Kootenay Lake steamboat purser as “chief factotum,” who was “like everyone employed there, getting fat.”

Kemp apparently built a house at the springs as well, but seems to have put his business on hold after 1894, as no further ads or references to the operation appear for several years.

To supplement his income, he was the Nelson Tribune’s Kaslo correspondent, acting editor of the Slocan Prospector, and contributed to the British Columbia Mining Record. He also advertised his services as a mining engineer.

When the Kaslo and Slocan Railway began operating in the fall of 1895, Kemp’s Springs was one of 17 stations on the timetable. However, a mining boom the following year at Sanca on Kootenay Lake’s east shore drew Kemp’s attention to that place. By 1898, he returned to the mineral springs with plans to re-establish a bottling works. He claimed the springs were “destined to be one of Kaslo’s largest enterprises” and indicated he had already made shipments locally and to Spokane. But for some reason, the business failed.

Years later, E. Jacobs of the Mining Record suggested that an interesting story could be written of Kemp’s “efforts to develop a mineral water supply industry in connection with Kemp’s springs, and of the dog-in-the-manger opposition of those who prevented him from doing so.” He didn’t elaborate, so the opponents remain unidentified.

In 1904 Kemp went to Seward, Alaska to edit a newspaper for a year or so, and later worked as a mining engineer throughout the Pacific Northwest. In 1912, he returned to West Kootenay, intrigued by platinum discoveries around Nelson. He still owned the dormant Kemp Springs.

He worked at the Standard mine in Silverton until being diagnosed with tongue cancer, whereupon he and his wife moved to Victoria to seek better medical treatment. Although he was said to be improving, his condition took a sudden and fatal turn.

Kemp Springs vanished from the map not long after its namesake’s departure, only being mentioned a few more times. Locals thereafter simply called it the Soda Springs, and it appears that way on maps.

In 1951, the Gas-Ice Corporation of Seattle took an interest in the property, looking for carbon dioxide gas deposits that they planned to turn into dry ice for refrigeration systems. But drilling tests weren’t as encouraging as hoped and the project was abandoned. More recent industrial activity has destroyed or at least obscured the site of the springs.

Randall Kemp is, however, commemorated in Kemp Creek, which flows northeast into the Kaslo River and is the village’s primary water source. It was first mentioned in the Nelson Tribune of Feb. 3, 1902: “[A] foot bridge will be built across the Kaslo river soon to accommodate the prospectors who have claims at the head of Kemp Creek.” The name wasn’t formally adopted until 1948.

There’s also Mount Kemp, southwest of Kaslo, named in 1962.

 

This ad for Kemp’s Therapeutic Mineral Water was originally printed at a cockeyed angle in the Nelson Tribune on Jan. 26, 1893.

Just Posted

Trail area homicide investigation continues

Jan. 14 marked one year since Jordan Workman was discovered in the trunk of a burnt car

Outbreak prompts advisory for visitors to extended care wing in Trail hospital

A respiratory infection has been active in Poplar Ridge Pavilion since Monday, advises IH

RDCK moves ahead with Castlegar rec complex upgrade plan

Board approves grant application for $13 million from provincial, federal governments

Scammers using Castlegar home for rental fraud

Local realtors say the problem is happening more frequently with their properties

Trail police seek to ID more loot recovered during weapons search

Trail RCMP recovered numerous weapons and stolen items after search at Fifth Avenue residence

B.C. opioid crisis to get same world-renowned treatment approach as HIV/AIDS

A program that focuses on treatment as prevention will roll out Jan. 17

Olympian snowboarder Max Parrot diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma

Each year in Canada, approximately 900 people are diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma

‘Prince of Pot’ Marc Emery accused of sexual assault, harassment

Emery denied the allegations, but a Toronto woman says she is not the only one speaking out

Vancouver Island photographer makes National Geographic’s 2018 elite

Rare double honour for Marston from the 36 best Your Shots out of nearly 19,000 photos

Ex-Liberal candidate in Burnaby, B.C., says volunteer wrote controversial post

Karen Wang dropped out following online post singling out NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh’s ethnicity

Asteroids are smacking Earth twice as often as before

The team counted 29 craters that were no older than 290 million years

Canada’s arrest of Huawei exec an act of ‘backstabbing,’ Chinese ambassador says

China has called Canada’s arrest of Huawei chief financial officer Meng Wanzhou ‘politically motivated’

In limbo: Leftover embryos challenge clinics, couples

Some are outright abandoned by people who quit paying storage fees and other couples struggle with tough decisions

BREAKING: Jury finds man accused of killing B.C. girl, 12, guilty

Twelve-year-old Monica Jack disappeared in May 1978 while riding her bike along a highway in Merritt, B.C.

Most Read