On June 4, 1897, the Mater Misericordiae Hospital (commonly known as Mater Mis) opened in Rossland.
The hospital was operated by the Sisters of St. Joseph for 72 years, until 1969, when management was turned over to a local board. At one point, Mater Mis was a full-service hospital, with an emergency room, surgical ward, and maternity ward. Here is one of the first known photos of the hospital, in 1897.
Read more about the history of the Mater Misericordiae Hospital on our website: rosslandmuseum.ca/matermis.