Residents and visitors enjoyed free hot chocolate, anniversary decals and city SWAG to mark the 125th Anniversary of the City of Rossland at Harry Lefevre Square on Friday.
The Golden City was incorporated on March 18, 1897, and the anniversary celebration will continue throughout the year at various Golden City festivals and events.
First discovered by two prospectors from the nearby Dewdney Trail, the Le Roi mine was the claim that started the gold rush in Rossland in 1890.
It was sold to Colonel Topping in lieu of a $12.50 recording fee. He then turned around and sold it to a Spokane company for $30,000. They began to develop the mine and the town was born.
In 1898 the Le Roi mine was sold to the British American Corporation for just over three million dollars.
Once the mine came into production, Le Roi stock jumped from fifty cents a share to $40 almost overnight. The population of Rossland exploded as gold fever attracted men from around the world and Rossland became one of the largest cities in Western Canada and a major business center in North America.
Many of the Rossland mines such as the Center Star, Le Roi, War Eagle, Josie, etc. became world famous.
These mines were worked over the next forty years, creating the town of Rossland. By 1897, the population had increased to 7,000, with 42 saloons, 4 banks and 17 law firms A smelter was built in the valley below, giving birth to the city of Trail and incorporation of the Golden City.
The mines and smelter were amalgamated in 1906 to form the company known as Cominco (now Teck-Trail).
The booming town of Rossland attracted miners from many countries and prominent among them were Scandinavians from the United States and from their native lands.
They brought with them their knowledge and love of skiing and soon organized the Rossland Ski Club, which held the first recorded competitions in Canada.
The rest, as they say, is history.
With files from rossland.ca/history.