The survival of the Rossland Winter Carnival not only hinges on snow, volunteers and patronage of the community, but sponsors as well.
Even so, it has never been difficult convincing sponsors to contribute cash or in-kind donations to the city’s premiere event, said winter carnival committee member Larry Doell.
“Donors appreciate being able to support a winter community event that first took place in 1897,” he said. “Sponsorship is essential. Without cash and in-kind donations, the carnival won’t survive.”
As a result, sponsorship grew by 30 per cent this year. In previous years where sponsorship was leaner, the committee had to take a more selective approach, said Doell.
“With less sponsors, we would try to maintain the core events and seek community champions to take on the remaining events,” he explained.
In-kind donations match the total operating budget. That operating budget is reached with 33 per cent cash contributions, with the remaining 67 per cent self generated by carnival events.
Long time cash sponsors include Nelson and District Credit Union, Teck Trail Operations, Columbia Basin Trust, Columbia Power Corporation, FortisBC, Regional District of Kootenay Boundary’s Area B, Ferraro Foods, Rossland Collision, Community Futures of Greater Trail, RHC Insurance and IDA Drugs.
In-kind sponsors include the City of Rossland, Red Mountain Resort, Rossland News, Mountain FM, HLF Images, Trail Times, Tourism Rossland, Century 21, Selkirk Security, RossVegas (gold sponsor), Powderhound, BV Rental, The Red Barn, Big Red Cats, Prestige Mountain Resort, and Kokanee Springs Golf Resort.
Specific thanks must be given to the City of Rossland, said Doell.
“The public works department goes above and beyond to ensure the success of the carnival,” he noted.
And that includes the massive amount of snow needed to be hauled in and moved around to build the staging area for the Rail Jam, said Doell.
“With the Rail Jam on Queen Street, RossVegas has added a new attraction that has become a downtown focal point over the last few years,” he said.
Red Mountain Resort continues to host a variety of events that add another dimension to the carnival, Doell explained.
Drive for volunteers
The Winter Carnival committee is hosting a two-day drive for volunteers this wekend, setting up a table at Ferraro Foods on Friday, Jan. 17, 4-7 p.m., and again on Sunday, Jan. 19 from 4-7 p.m.
People can choose whatever event they wish to volunteer for. And there are many to choose from (see http://www.rosslandwintercarnival.com/).
The weekend will once again include the bobsled competition, King of the Mountain, Olaus Ice Palace, the Rail Jam and plenty of events for kids in its roster.
Food vendors from all corners—including non-profit organizations, private vendors and merchants—are also needed and can contact Audrey Gerein at firstname.lastname@example.org for food vendor information. Vendors are required to have a food permit licence from the city, as well as Food Safe accreditation.
The weekend kicks off on Thursday, Jan. 23 with the Nelson and District Credit Union Variety Show at Rossland School’s auditorium, featuring the school’s drama club and Richie Mann and the Golden City Fiddlers.
See the website at http://www.rosslandwintercarnival.com/ for more details.