Greg Nesteroff

Silverton is seen in a postcard mailed in 1908 with the SS Slocan in the background. Nearly all of the buildings pictured are gone with the notable exception of the Selkirk Hotel

PLACE NAMES: Silverton

Silverton was originally known as Four Mile or Four Mile City, after Four Mile Creek.

Silverton is seen in a postcard mailed in 1908 with the SS Slocan in the background. Nearly all of the buildings pictured are gone with the notable exception of the Selkirk Hotel
Shutty Bench was named for the Shutty family

PLACE NAMES: Shutty Bench and Six Mile

Shutty Bench, a few kilometers north of Kaslo, was founded by Andrew Shutty and his son.

Shutty Bench was named for the Shutty family
The CPR adopted the name Shore Acres in 1909 but it’s not clear when it began using the compound form Shoreacres.

PLACE NAMES: Shoreacres

Shoreacres, the wide flat at the confluence of the Slocan and Kootenay rivers, was previously known as Slocan Crossing and Lancasters.

The CPR adopted the name Shore Acres in 1909 but it’s not clear when it began using the compound form Shoreacres.
Edgar Dewdney named Sheep Creek, sort of

Edgar Dewdney named Sheep Creek, sort of

Two noteworthy Sheep Creeks exist in West Kootenay.

Edgar Dewdney named Sheep Creek, sort of
Shields was a stop along the Columbia and Western Railway. The name might have originally been Shiell’s.

PLACE NAMES: Shields, Shirley, and Shoreholme

Was Shields named for a railway contractor or for the Shiell brothers?

Shields was a stop along the Columbia and Western Railway. The name might have originally been Shiell’s.
The old Cascade highway near Rossland is seeing looking down into Sheep Creek in this ca. 1940s postcard.

PLACE NAMES: Sheep Creek

Two noteworthy Sheep Creeks exist in West Kootenay.

The old Cascade highway near Rossland is seeing looking down into Sheep Creek in this ca. 1940s postcard.
An ad from the Kaslo-Slocan Examiner of May 13

PLACE NAMES: Seaton

Seaton might be the most obscure townsite in the Slocan. You won’t find it mentioned in any history book.

An ad from the Kaslo-Slocan Examiner of May 13
This ad for the Sayward townsite appeared in the Nelson Miner on Aug. 12

PLACE NAMES: Sayward

Sayward on Vancouver Island and the former West Kootenay townsite of Sayward were both named after lumber magnate William Parsons Sayward.

This ad for the Sayward townsite appeared in the Nelson Miner on Aug. 12
Two of Sandon’s remaining buildings are seen in the 1960s. The building on the left is now the museum

PLACE NAMES: Sandon, part 2

The earliest reference to the future townsite of Sandon was in a letter by John Morgan Harris, dated May 19, 1892.

Two of Sandon’s remaining buildings are seen in the 1960s. The building on the left is now the museum
Sandon is seen sometime following the fire of 1900 that razed the downtown district. This postcard was mailed in 1907. The town was named after prospector John Sandon.

PLACE NAMES: Sandon, part 1

Sandon, the West Kootenay’s greatest ghost town, was named after Sandon Creek, in turn named for prospector John Sandon.

Sandon is seen sometime following the fire of 1900 that razed the downtown district. This postcard was mailed in 1907. The town was named after prospector John Sandon.
Ads in the Nelson Daily News during the summer of 1910 exalted the many advantages of Salmon Rapids

PLACE NAMES: Salmon Rapids

On July 8, 1910, the Nelson Daily News carried the first in a series of ads for the “First sale of lots in the Salmon Rapids townsite.”

Ads in the Nelson Daily News during the summer of 1910 exalted the many advantages of Salmon Rapids
This ad appeared in the Vancouver Daily World on March 12

PLACE NAMES: Salmo

Salmo is the Latin form of salmon and takes its name from the Salmon River (now Salmo River) that flows through it.

This ad appeared in the Vancouver Daily World on March 12
The hotel at St. Leon Hot Springs is seen above on a ca. 1950s postcard when Ed Gates operated it as the Gates of St. Leon

PLACE NAMES: St. Leon and Rosebery, revisited

In 1892, prospector Mike Grady found hot springs bubbling out of holes in the rocks two miles up a mountainside from Upper Arrow Lake.

The hotel at St. Leon Hot Springs is seen above on a ca. 1950s postcard when Ed Gates operated it as the Gates of St. Leon
The original Rossland townsite plan

PLACE NAMES: Rossland, Part 2

Last week we saw that Rossland was originally known as Thompson, after Ross Thompson, who pre-empted a homestead on the future city’s site.

The original Rossland townsite plan
Columbia Ave. in Rossland is seen in the 1890s or early 1900s. Although most of these buildings are gone

PLACE NAMES: Rossland, Part 1

The area where Rossland sits was first called kEluwi’sst or kmarkn by the Sinixt First Nation, who knew it as a good area for huckleberries.

Columbia Ave. in Rossland is seen in the 1890s or early 1900s. Although most of these buildings are gone
The Paulson Hotel

PLACE NAMES: Paulson and Petersbury

Today Paulson is a bridge, a backroad, and a highway, but originally it was a siding on the Columbia and Western Railway.

The Paulson Hotel
Paterson

PLACE NAMES: Paterson

The border crossing southwest of Rossland was named for Archibald Neil Paterson (1865-1935).

Paterson
Greenwood city hall

A look at West Kootenay/Boundary’s local government landscape

Ahead of Local Government Awareness Week in BC, we study the complicated history of municipalities in our area.

Greenwood city hall
RCMP Sgt. John Ferguson is urging drivers not to take the nice weather as a license to speed.

Nice weather no excuse to speed, West Kootenay RCMP say

Local traffic police are urging motorists to slow down after catching more than a dozen vehicles going at least 40 km/h over the limit.

RCMP Sgt. John Ferguson is urging drivers not to take the nice weather as a license to speed.
Crockettville Service is seen in the 1940s. From far left

PLACE NAMES: Oasis and Oatescott

Oasis, just north of Trail, was originally called Crockettville after Harrison (Shorty) Crockett (1903-90) and his wife Kathleen (Kate).

Crockettville Service is seen in the 1940s. From far left