PLACE NAMES: Sandon, part 2

The earliest reference to the future townsite of Sandon was in a letter by John Morgan Harris, dated May 19, 1892.

Two of Sandon’s remaining buildings are seen in the 1960s. The building on the left is now the museum

One hundred seventy-second in an alphabetical series on West Kootenay/Boundary place names

Last week we saw that Sandon was named for Sandon Creek and in turn for John Sandon (1840?-93), one of the many prospectors who descended on the area during the Silvery Slocan rush of 1891.

Sandon and Bruce White applied on Nov. 9, 1891 to buy land at the junction of Sandon and Carpenter creeks, the future Sandon townsite. However, Sandon sold his holdings to White at the end of the year and drowned in Kootenay Lake in 1893.

Meanwhile, John Morgan Harris pitched his tent at the site of Sandon in April 1892. On May 23 of that year, Harris recorded the Loudoun mining claim at that site, named for a county in his native Virginia. His motive was almost certainly real estate rather than mining.

But on July 14, Harris and three partners bought a promising galena claim called the Ruecau, named for Louis Von Ruecau, a German mining expert who co-discovered it. The name was shortened to Rico or Reco, either for simplicity’s sake or because rico means “wealthy” in Spanish.

Two weeks later, the Spokane Review reported: “Reco, Slocan, BC, July 23 – The townsite of Reco, an embryo Slocan mining city, is situated at the junction of Sandon creek with the main artery of this district, Carpenter creek. At present it boasts only the cabins of a dozen or so prospectors, but numerous predictions of its future greatness are heard.”

This is the only known reference to Sandon as Reco, although given Johnny Harris’ fondness for the name, it’s surprising that it didn’t stick. By January 1893, Charles Aylwin was planning a log hotel “at the mouth of Sandon creek.” Perry’s Mining Map of West Kootenay, drawn in March 1893, didn’t indicate a town at Sandon per se, but did show the Lucy Hotel, about which nothing is known. Was this Aylwin’s place of business? Other sources say Robert Cunning opened the first hotel. The Mining Review of June 12, 1897 credited Cunning with suggesting the name Sandon for the town.

The town’s first mention by name was in the Kaslo Slocan Examiner of May 13, 1893, in an ad by Archie Chisholm, who sought a hotel license “at Sanden [sic], BC.”

A Nelson Miner correspondent added on July 1: “On continuing down the south fork of Carpenter creek we arrived in a short time at Sandon creek and gladly proceeded to refresh the inner men. Here, in a position to reach a number of the most important groups of mines, a townsite is being laid out at the junction of Sandon and South Fork.”

But Harris and his partners weren’t behind the townsite: merchant Robert E. Lemon, who owned the adjacent Blue Jay claim, beat them to it. He hired surveyor John Hirsch, who on July 19, 1893 laid out an eight-block grid (pictured below) that bore little relationship to the site’s actual topography. The streets were named Reco, Sandon, Slocan, CPR, and Star.

Toward the year’s end, Harris offered Lemon a half-interest in the Reco mine in exchange for an equal share in the Sandon townsite, but was rebuffed.

Instead, in December 1895, Harris laid out his own townsite addition on the Loudoun claim. Surveyor John Fielding did the work, extending Reco street and adding Slocan Star, Ivanhoe, and Ruth streets (all names of local mines). Harris could have called his addition Reco or Loudoun or anything else he desired, but opted to stick with Sandon.

As Gene Petersen wrote in Window in the Rock: “How did the place escape being Loudoun? Or Virginia City after the silver capital of the western US and the state where he had his roots? And why not Johnstown, after the [first name] of both Sandon and Harris?”

Perhaps Harris concluded Sandon was already too well entrenched. But the name was about the only thing without his fingerprints on it. He owned hotels, office buildings, the power plant, waterworks, and a great deal of other real estate. After the city’s short-lived boom ended, he remained in Sandon for decades as it slowly descended into a ghost town.

Further additions were surveyed: East Sandon (1896), Sunnyside (1898), West Sandon (1900) and an expansion of East Sandon (1900). A post office operated from 1895 to 1962.

Below: The original Sandon townsite plan, surveyed in 1893 on Robert Lemon’s Blue Jay claim. (Courtesy Regional District of Central Kootenay)

Previous installments in this series

Introduction

Ainsworth

Alamo

Anaconda

Annable, Apex, and Arrow Park

Annable, revisited

Appledale

Applegrove, Appleby, and Appledale revisited

Argenta and Arrowhead

Aylwin

Bakers, Birds, and Bosun Landing

Balfour

Bannock City, Basin City, and Bear Lake City

Beasley

Beaton

Bealby Point

Bealby Point (aka Florence Park) revisited

Belford and Blewett

Beaverdell and Billings

Birchbank and Birchdale

Blueberry and Bonnington

Boswell, Bosworth, Boulder Mill, and Broadwater

Brandon

Brilliant

Brooklyn, Brouse, and Burnt Flat

Burton

Camborne, Cariboo City, and Carrolls Landing

Carmi, Cedar Point, Circle City, and Clark’s Camp

Carson, Carstens, and Cascade City

Casino and Champion Creek

Castlegar, Part 1

Castlegar, Part 2

Castlegar, Part 3

Christina Lake

Christina City and Christian Valley

Clubb Landing and Coltern

Cody and Champion Creek revisited

Champion Creek revisited, again

Columbia

Columbia City, Columbia Gardens, and Columbia Park

Comaplix

Cooper Creek and Corra Linn

Crawford Bay and Comaplix revisited

Crescent Valley and Craigtown

Davenport

Dawson, Deadwood, and Deanshaven

Deer Park

East Arrow Park and Edgewood

Eholt

English Cove and English Point

Enterprise

Erie

Evans Creek and Evansport

Falls City

Farron

Fauquier

Ferguson

Ferguson, revisited

Fife

Forslund, Fosthall, and Fairview

Fort Shepherd vs. Fort Sheppard, Part 1

Fort Shepherd vs. Fort Sheppard, Part 2

Fort Sheppard, revisited

Fraser’s Landing and Franklin

Fredericton

Fruitvale and Fraine

Galena Bay

Genelle

Gerrard

Gilpin and Glade

Gladstone and Gerrard, revisited

Glendevon and Graham Landing

Gloster City

Goldfields and Gold Hill

Grand Forks, Part 1

Grand Forks, Part 2

Granite Siding and Granite City

Gray Creek, Part 1

Gray Creek, Part 2

Gray Creek, revisited

Green City

Greenwood

Halcyon Hot Springs

Hall Siding and Healy’s Landing

Harrop

Hartford Junction

Hills

Howser, Part 1

Howser, Part 2

Howser, Part 3

Howser, Part 4

Hudu Valley, Huntingtdon, and Healy’s Landing revisited

Inonoaklin Valley (aka Fire Valley)

Jersey, Johnsons Landing, and Jubilee Point

Kaslo, Part 1

Kaslo, Part 2

Kaslo, Part 3

Kaslo, Part 4

Kettle River, Part 1

Kettle River, Part 2

Kinnaird, Part 1

Kinnaird, Part 2

Kitto Landing

Koch Siding and Keen

Kokanee

Kootenay Bay, Kraft, and Krestova

Kuskonook, Part 1

Kuskonook, Part 2

Kuskonook (and Kuskanax), Part 3

Labarthe, Lafferty, and Longbeach

Lardeau, Part 1

Lardeau, Part 2

Lardeau, Part 3

Lardeau, Part 4

Lebahdo

Lemon Creek, Part 1

Lemon Creek, Part 2

Lemon Creek, Part 3

Makinsons Landing and Marblehead

McDonalds Landing, McGuigan, and Meadow Creek

Meadows, Melville, and Miles’ Ferry

Midway

Mineral City and Minton

Mirror Lake and Molly Gibson Landing

Montgomery and Monte Carlo, Part 1

Montgomery and Monte Carlo, Part 2

Montrose and Myncaster

Nakusp, Part 1

Nakusp, Part 2

Nashville

Needles

Nelson, Part 1

Nelson, Part 2

Nelson, Part 3

Nelson, Part 4

Nelson, Wash.

Nelway and New Galway

New Denver, Part 1

New Denver, Part 2

Niagara

Oasis and Oatescott

Ootischenia

Oro

Park Siding and Pass Creek

Passmore

Paterson

Paulson

Perry Siding

Phoenix

Pilot Bay

Pingston

Playmor Junction

Poplar and Porcupine

Porto Rico and Pottersville

Poupore, Powder Point, and Power’s Camp

Procter, Part 1

Procter, Part 2

Queens Bay, Rambler, and Raspberry

Remac and Renata

Retallack

Rhone and Rideau

Riondel

Ritaville, Riverside I, Riverside II, and Rivervale

Robson and Rock Creek

Rosebery and Ross Spur

Rossland, Part 1

Rossland, Part 2

St. Leon and Rosebery, revisited

Salmo

Salmon Rapids

Sandon, Part 1